Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July, Friends and Good Times!

We had a fun-filled, busy 4th of July long weekend. It's the Tuesday after and I'm finally recovered! It felt good to hang with friends all weekend and have so much fun that it felt like we hardly got any sleep!

The fun started early Friday morning at 6:00 am (4th of July) with a 5k/3 mile run with the Las Vegas Running Team. It was a beautiful sunny morning as usual but was already 107 F at 7:00 am when we started the run! The heat made the run so much more of a challenge! I had a headache for 2 days from running in the heat! It felt great though. I love running and it was nice to get out with some friends and run with them. We went with a couple that we know through dental school, Sheena & Allen, and had a great time. Sheena and I had fun giving Chad and Allen a hard time because they had to register as "Clydesdale's" because they both weigh over 200 pounds... sorry Chad & Allen. Good times!



After the race they had food for the runners but for some weird reason they decided to serve us a bbq at 7:30 in the morning... gross!!! We were looking forward to fruit and bagels and such but instead they had cookies, hamburgers and hot dogs! Who wants to eat that in the morning let alone after running for 3 miles?? It was rather disgusting and of course I couldn't eat but Chad partook of a greasy hamburger. I still get the shivers thinking about it. After recuperating for a half an hour we all went to Denny's after for some real food. We are going to do a race again but I think we'll wait until the fall when it's a little cooler! Apparently it's humanly possible to run in such heat because we survived but it's a good thing we didn't think too much about it before we ran.

Friday afternoon we went to a bbq/pool party with some other friends we know through dental school (Allyssa & Brian). Sheena and Allen and their cute baby also came. At night they put on fireworks that were amazing. Oh ya... Mike(also from dental school)met us there but his wife couldn't come because she was in Washington.




On Saturday we went to St. George, UT which is an hour and a half northeast of Vegas. Some other friends, Kellie & Ryan (also from dental school) invited us to a Les Miserables play at the Tuacahn Theater. The theater is outside and the temperature was perfect... we had a blast. Another couple from dental school came, Kimber and Jeff.


Sunday came and we topped the weekend off with having Allyssa & Brian over for dinner. They wanted to introduce us to some friends of theirs who are from Idaho and just moved here so I invited them over for dinner also. We had a good time and made some more new friends!

We are loving it in Vegas and the more people we get to know and hang out with, the more it's starting to feel like home. There's nothing like being surrounded with really good people who genuinely care for us and have fun with us. We are really going to miss Vegas when we leave but almost everyone we know here will be leaving Vegas also once dental school is over. It's great that we'll know people from Arizona to Washington and many states in between and will definitely keep in touch with everyone after we have moved. Chad and I are grateful that we were meant to come to Vegas at this time and we are cherishing our time here... not like at the beginning when I couldn't wait to move already only 2 months after moving here! Things are going really good and we feel very blessed to be here.

3 comments:

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad that you are enjoying it there...it really does help to have good friends and it obviously sounds like you do! I love the picture at the pool party of you guys with the sunset...so pretty! And way to go on the run! I've been waking up at 7:00 am to go running with my boys and I die when it's in the 80's already...I can't imagine 107!! Way to go!

Ryan said...

I don't think you're a clydesdale, Chad. In fact, I think you're looking pretty slim and fit in these pictures. You must be working out. Schuyler has made me go to LA Fitness with her all week. Maybe next time you see me I'll be slim and trim too.

I'm glad you guys are liking Vegas better. We're starting to make a lot of friends here in Tucson too. Life is always better with friends!

Chad said...

I sure felt like a clyesdale trying to run around with all those aneorexic runner types out there. But yes, I have been hitting the weights. It helps keep me sane when I have to sit in a classroom and stare at teeth all day. Vegas is definitely growing on us. We won't miss the city at all but we will definitely miss our friends. It sure is hot right now. I bet tucson is pretty nasty too. ONly 2 more months of summer and then it gets nice again. Hope you guys are having fun. Isn't Angie due soon? talk to you later.

Contributors