Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Four Generations


First of all, I would like to say Happy Birthday to my grandma who recently turned 82. In this picture are four generations of my family. From left to right - my grandma, my mom, me and my niece. From 12 - 82 years of age. My grandma is a wonderful lady. She has so many great stories to tell. She is a genius with the bible and knows it better than anyone I know and loves to discuss it. My mom says that I got my "God gene" from my grandma so I guess that means that we are spiritual. Hopefully I got her physical genes too because she is still very healthy with no major health problems. She still works out at the gym and is always on the go whether it's taking some sort of belly dancing class, gardening in her bathing suit (gotta get those sun rays) or painting a picture. She's a very talented artist and a vibrant person who has a passion for life. She makes me laugh because she's so different from the typical grandma.
My grandma was born and raised in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Her dad was born and raised in Newfoundland, Canada and her mom was born and raised in New York, New York, USA. Her dad was a self-made multi-millionaire who owned his own company called the Magor Car Company http://www.signaturepress.com/magor.html & http://www.signaturepress.com/mgrrev.html. He was very prominent and a well known man in Montreal. My mom has endless newspaper clippings of my great grandpa from always being involved in the community and giving his time and efforts to various causes. My grandma tells us stories of the mansion that she and her family lived in and how the girls couldn't leave their house without gloves on (meaning they always dressed up). Her family was voted the best dressed family in Montreal. Grandma was set to have lunch with the queen of England when she turned 16(called a Coming-Out Party) which was a formality among the very wealthy. Sadly, she didn't end up meeting with the queen because of occurrences with the war so she met with the Governor General instead (still good enough for me!). The mansion she lived in has recently been turned into a dormitory for a university. I have yet to visit Montreal and go see her old mansion... what an amazing experience that will be! Not to mention, I love old buildings and architecture so I'm very excited to see it!
This is a picture of my grandma when she was younger...

No comments:

Contributors